We are looking to commission one exceptional craft/making/creation activity for Just So Festival 2016. We are looking for a piece of work where our family audience either create something to take away with them, or are involved in the creation of an installation, artwork or some other physical manifestation of the unusual.
The work should be aimed at a family audience. It should have large scale impact and be highly interactive. The work will need to engage up to 1000 people per day, and take up a large space on site (the lawn in front of the hall in the picture). Although we will provide a marquee for indoor aspects, the work will need to take place at least in part outdoors (on grass).
Introduction to the Just So Festival
The Just So Festival is an award-winning annual weekend-long camping festival for children and their families. The festival provides a magical experience where art, music and literature are embedded and entwined in a beautiful and wonderous landscape. We provide a broad range of musical, theatrical, and visual performances, workshops and installations within a safe, natural and magical setting. Every clearing and glade holds a new way to unleash creativity. Families discover and delight in the spectacular within the woodland environment during this weekend camping event.
We are looking for projects that meet the following criteria:
- First and foremost we are looking for projects that will inspire families to create something brilliant in an outdoor, festival setting.
- We are looking for projects that are innovative, that relish the challenges and opportunities that working outdoors brings.
- We are looking for projects that involve a culmination – either the creation of a large pie ce of work, or the coming together of small items that families have made, in a meaningful way.
- We are looking for projects with a single clear vision, not a craft tent with several making activities.
- We are looking for projects that exemplify of the Wild Rumpus ethos and aesthetic. Please read about what we believe in at www.wildrumpus.org.uk/webelievei/, and browse our photo galleries at www.facebook.com/justsofestival. For an idea of projects that inspire us, have a look at our ‘Mess’ pinterest board at https://uk.pinterest.com/wild_rumpus/mess/
- Projects must be affordable, transportable, flexible and accessible. The fee includes materials. As we have a year-round conversation with our audience, it is possible to ask them to bring specific things to the festival with them to contribute if appropriate (and meaningful).
The commission available is worth £2000 inclusive of 3 days provision of the activity at Just So Festival 2016 (19/20/21 August 2016). In addition, if required, Just So Festival will support the development process by providing residential development space in our woodland venue , the whirligig, and providing feedback during development.
We will support the successful piece of work in touring to further greenfield festivals in summer 2016.
The commissioning process is open to anyone to apply.
We would like to invite you to submit a short proposal (no longer than two sides of A4) that responds to the commissioning brief. The deadline for this part of the process is Friday 19th February 2016. Please send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will then be shortlisted and invited to discuss the project further in early March.
If you have any questions or would like to talk through your proposal directly please contact the directors Rowan Hoban via email@example.com or Sarah Bird via firstname.lastname@example.org